Jonas & Lukas are the unusually named duo Achilles & One, a Munich-based outfit with a propensity for Balearic-inclined house music. It’s a trait of theirs that wonderfully plays out on their most recent EP for Love Harder, a label that they’re closely associated with. The release we’re referring to is La Musica, an outing that even comes backed with none other than Mighty Mouse himself. With endorsements like his, you probably know that the guys’ sound is one that you’re sure to get down with quick. We checked in with the guys over email recently to find out more…
– You’re from Germany, right? Was it a good place to experience electronic music as a teenager? What were your first experiences of it all?
Yes we most certainly are. House and techno have a long history in Germany. It’s kind of hard to not at least listen to it at some point when you are growing up. Lukas, his older brother used to listen to those “Defected in the House” samplers all the time at home. For Jonas, his first contact was actually going to Harry Klein on his 18th birthday. After that he was hooked!
– So when did you meet each other? And where?
We used to work at the same club here in Munich. While talking to each other we found out we basically like the same style of music and also both produce stuff that would work well with each other.
– Do you think it’s better or worse than it used to be in Germany for house music these days? Or just different?
Just different. The music which is most successful changes every couple of years but everything else kind of stays as it is.
– So where’s the best clubs to go to if we’re visiting then?
If you ever come to Munich you should definitely check out the Bob Beaman Club or the Kong. Both are very small with a very dedicated crowd and have outstanding international bookings despite their size. If you like it a bit tougher you should probably head to the Rote Sonne.
– Have you ever considered moving abroad? Are you just as motivated and inspired as you’ve ever been within the German scene?
Not really moving full time. But maybe for a longer period of time. Just to see what’s out there. Germany still works for us at the moment.
– Are there ever times were you struggle for inspiration then? What do you do in those instances?
Yes of course. Everyone experiences that at some point. For us we found it’s most effective if we just take a break from music all together. Like not work on music or go out clubbing for a couple of days. After a while motivation comes back on its own.
– And aside from yourself, what other German DJs should we be looking out for?
Definitely our boys from Love Harder, Alex Mallios, Guardate, and Leo Kane. All are amazing producers and are great behind the decks. Outside from the LH family I would like you to keep an eye on two very talented guys from a small town near Munich. They call themselves “Urban by Choice”. Their productions have something special about them.
– Do you go out clubbing much these days? Who was the last DJ/producer to really impress you in that regard?
Not as much as we’d like but we do when we get the chance. T. Williams DJ set to weeks ago was pretty good. He played a mixture of House, Garage and a little Grime. Always great if someone keeps it interesting. Jonas went to Bob Beaman few weeks ago and listened to a set of Bicep which completely blew him away! Their set was more on the Techno and Breaks side but sometimes that’s exactly what you need.
– What constitutes success for you as a producer? Who influences your work the most?
It’s a mixture of quality, creativeness and variety for us. If someone constantly delivers tunes that sound fresh every time and there is always something new and unexpected to them, then this particular guy is a good producer. Success on the other hand is if he get’s enough recognition so he or she can make a living out of it and keep making music he or she loves.
That would be a long bloody list. Recently we really like listening to work from all these up and coming producers from the UK!
– So can you tell us a bit about your relationship with Love Harder? How did it come about?
Alex Mallios (Love Harder Founder) actually knew Jonas before he started the label because they used to exchange music and productions etc. When the time came Achilles & One actually had the first release on Love Harder called „Live together“. At the moment Jonas and Alex are roommates in Munich too.
– So is music a full-time thing for you now? What are your other hobbies?
No, it’s not at the moment. Jonas works full time as a interior architect & designer and Lukas still goes to university. Jonas is a passionate windsurfer and Lukas does Track and Field. Apart from that there is not much time for anything else.
– Can you tell me a bit about your latest EP? Is there a story behind it at all?
We wanted to create a Balearic house track with a big piano in it from the start. Once we had that down we were looking for a fitting vocal sample to accompany it. The tune was created this summer around the time Germany won the FIFA world championship at Brazil, so we got the right tropical vibe to do it.
– Did the EP end up as you hoped it would? Or do you generally go off on tangents when you’re producing?
We don’t really plan everything out from the beginning. That way we can change things on the fly if we feel like it. With this one we definitely changed a lot during the process.
– Are you very picky about where your music gets signed to? Is it important that the label has a similar ethos to yourself?
Most of our releases have been on Love Harder so far. We like to repay them for the work and trust they put in us so far. It’s great working with a label while knowing the other artists etc. personally as well. Feels somewhat like a family.
– If you could produce on one other label and with one other producer, what would they be and why?
Definitely Duke Dumont. His stuff is just something else. So much energy while still keeping the feel to it. His music also sounds amazing. It’s the perfect mixture of club music and more song orientated music. Label would therefore be blasé boys club, which is his own, imprint as far as we know.
– What’s next for you that you’re particularly excited about?
We are working on a remix for the mighty drop out orchestra. That’s pretty big for us and we are giving it our best.
– If you were stuck on a desert island, what would you bring?
For Lukas, something to listen to. For Jonas, his surfboard.
– So would you bring each other?
Haha, next question!
– If you could use 3 words to describe each other, what would they be?
Jonas: creative, passionate, chaotic
Lukas: down to earth, efficient, charming
Interview by James Hopkins
Achilles & One’s La Musica is out now on Love Harder