Argüello is a Columbian DJ and Producer who is currently based in LA, California. We caught up with the guy to find out more about him, and his newest release out on RKJ Records.
– How has 2015 treated you so far?
Very well, the people has been showing me a lot of support with my new music, my remixes and my radio show.
– You live in LA right now, but what was your childlike life living in Columbia?
The lifestyle in Colombia is pretty different. My parents supported me a lot when I was a kid and when I wanted to be a musician.
– I gather you had quite a musical talent at quite a young age. Tell us about your musical experiences when you were younger?
Well, when I was a kid I started playing guitar, then piano. I had a rock band with some friends and then I started looking at softwares like FL Studio experimenting and learning with YouTube tutorials, testing sounds, exploring genres until I started to use Logic pro 9.
– What changed you over to a more electronic perspective? What was that one moment that you realized that that was the genre for you?
I started making electro house stuff, but after some experiences I realised that I wanted to start my own sound, without rules, because that is the only way if you want to grow up musically.
– What DJs do you get inspiration from, be it past or present?
Well the first one was Buddha, then Gigi D’Agostino, and Tiesto
(When he was in the trance scene) when I was a kid. Now Flume, Cashmere Cat, Kygo, Diplo, Porter Robinson, CVRCHES, Lido, Manila Killa. They have inspired to me to be different and be myself.
– If you could own one track no other DJ could ever play, what would it be and why?
I don’t know which track, but would be one that’s very emotional and melodic.
– What equipment are you using at the moment?
When I am producing I use: Logic pro 9 as my DAW. Digital synths (Vsti), UAD Apollo interface, Les Paul guitar, Korg MS 2000B analog synth.
To Djing: Ableton Live, Push.
– So tell me about your production career so far. What’s been the highlight for you?
The support of many artist/ producers on my originals and my remixes, Maybe my remix of “All of Me” by John Legend.
– And the latest release, is it typical of your work do you think or is it a bit darker than usual?
My latest release is Platonic Love, and is very emotional. Each track of mine is pretty different but they are always very emotional.
– What do you have lined up for the rest of the year? A big tour or maybe an album lined up?
Not an Album yet, but a lot upcoming releases this year, keep an eye on my music. I’m just waiting release dates. Some shows are pending to be announced too so stay tuned
Interview by Dan Mackenzie
Argüello’s release ‘Platonic Love’ came out on RKJ Records on 26th March