– What’s up with you at the moment, Fabian? How you been?
Really great. I’ve been working a lot in my studio and for our label, Mangue records.
– What was the first record you bought?
Hahahaha. I think it was “Anthem – let the sunshine in your heart!”
– What was the last record you bought? Where do you do most of your record shopping these days?
Unfortunately, the sales of vinyl is not that popular anymore. Sometimes you just can find music you want and get it digitalized. The last EP I bought was the “ghostpunk/love remixes” by Solee. Great stuff.
– Where are you from in Germany? How influential was your surroundings on the music you make?
I am from Görlitz, a small town in East Germany. It is not that influential for me, because when I produce music, I prefer to work in total silence in my studio!
– And how best would you describe that music?
Its experimental, friendly melodic electronic music combined with groovy deep-techhouse drumsets.
– If we had 48 hours to go clubbing in Germany, where would you recommend?
The Watergate Berlin is a great place, of course the Puschkin Club in Dresden (FreundeFeiern) and you shouldn’t miss the Bergwacht in Cologne as well.
– How’s your production career going? You work with Black Vel a lot, right?
14 years ago I started producing music. At the beginning my style was techno/Goa Trance! Step-by-step I started playing with a mc 303 or the Yamaha sequencer rm1x in my studio.
It was a great time but back in the days it was more complicated then today. Now I’ve equipped my studio with better software and new hardware. My collaboration with Black Vel started in 2009. We founded our own record label “ Mangue Records”. Our productions are famous for groovy melodic tech-house.
– And what was the general theme behind the Hey EP?
We wanted a new Single for the summer open air season 2014. After “Hey” was produced, we knew it was the perfect summer tune for 2014. We’re really looking forward to remix “Hey” with MircoNiemeier as well.
– If you could produce with any producer from any time, who would it be?
Alex Kenji would be great or for a more experimental track, maybe Trentemöller too…
– And if you could have produced any electronic tune, what would it be?
Melodic atmospheric stuff for film or music. But that’s a nearly impossible question!
– What’s the one record you play more than any other at the moment?
It’s summer, so of course Fabian Schumann & Black Vel – “HEY”!
– What are you working on right now that you’d like to shout about?
I will release my next solo EP “our way” with Mangue Records soon. And Einmusika Recordings will release a nice summer tune on their “Bella Mar “ compilation with a song of mine and Black Vel’s called ‘Etika’, which is just out.
Fabian Schumann & Black Vel’s ‘Hey/Dry’ is out now on Mangue Records. Be sure to check it out here: http://www.beatport.com/release/hey-dry/1294107