– Hi Juan, i’m glad to ask you some questions for Differentgrooves.com
Back to the roots, how begin your interest to electronic music?
I grew up in the 90s, so electronic music was around me if I wanted or not. A lot of my friends started to DJ, so during the weekend we used to hang out and play records. I was a dedicated guitar player back then but eventually I made the switch to DJing.
– Holland is also very popular for hardcore and hardstyle genres. Have you ever been interested in that kind of stuff?
Not really. I can appreciate it though. But not longer than 15 min.
– If you should do a comparison between the past and the present, what are the biggest differences and evolutions noticed on your style?
When I started my DJ career 12 years ago everything was faster, I refer to the BPM’s. Then there were some years of minimal down tempo but lately everything is becoming more energetic. Techno is coming back and I’m really happy with that.
– How do you feel after getting released on big labels such as Octopus, 100% Pure, Witty Tunes?
I think it is important to release your music on good labels. I put a lot of effort into my music so when I sign it to a label I expect they do the same thing. It sucks to have a release out and not get any exposure.
– You also run parties at Air in Amsterdam called FORMAT and it has been revealed a successful thing. When did it start and what is the concept behind it?
We celebrated our 3 year anniversary this month. FORMAT is a monthly techno event with big (inter)national artists. The club has the best sound system in Amsterdam. We also focus on the visual aspect; I work with a special VJ and lights team.
– What can you tell about your collaboration with the Slam duo?
These guys have been around for so long and I’m a big fan of their work so I was honoured they were up for doing a remix for me.
– Is anything new forthcoming in the next months you wanna tell us about?
I will host a big area on a 2 day festival here in Amsterdam called ‘Amsterdam Open Air’.
Some artists I invited are Robert Hood Live, Matthew dear, Sandwell District, Sian, Tommy Four Seven.
– Thank you for having spent the time to let our readers know more about your music and thoughts!
Interview by Matteo Pitton