Title: Gomma Dance 2012
Mixed by: Munk & Telonius
Release Date: 5th March 2012
Munk and Telonius present Gomma Dance 2012, the first in a series of compilation albums to come from one of Germany’s most recognised electronic labels.
If there are two men who can give a snapshot of Gomma and the New Disco / Progressive House that stands at the core of the label, it has got to be Munk and Telonius. As label founders, they have been with Gomma from the start; a time when Disco was a nostalgic reference to the flares and flashing dance floors of the 70s and House was something that went on in Chicago in the 80s. Since then Gomma have played a vital role in reinventing these genres and the label has therefore rightfully gained a reputation as pioneers of modern electronic music. In the early days Gomma collaborated with the likes of LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy to front an international music movement that evolved to influence a wave of other eclectic electronic labels such as DFA Records, Kompakt, Ed Banger and Kitsune to name but a few. Nowadays Gomma records are not only favourites of Radio 1 DJs Annie Mac and Toddla T, but don the decks of the likes of Erol Alkan, Andrew Weatherhall. Gui Boratto and Laurnet Garnier filling the dancefloors of some of the best clubs in the world.
On Gomma Dance 2012 Munk & Telonius fluidly combine their own productions with radio edits and remixes from the likes of WhomadeWho, Esperanza, The KDMS, Mercury, Azari and III, The Phenomenal Handclap Band and Prins Thomas to name but a few. This album is a tribute not only to Gomma’s existence as a forward thinking, ground breaking record label but also to the eclectic musical talent that has come to define it.
Where one moment you’re captivated by the vibrant synths and glamorous vocal tone of Moullinex & Peaches’ reworking of 80s classic “Maniac,” soon after you’ll be plunged into synth-laden futuristic House on Mercury’s “You Lift Me Up.” Dimitri from Paris and DJ Rocca’s dancefloor burner “Ero Disco Theme” rolls playfully into Azari and III’s glitter-flecked remix of Munk’s “La Musica,” and hypnotic techno on Esperanza’s “Aliante Giallo,” meets psychedelic funk provided by Prins Thomas’ remix of The Phenomenal Handclap Band’s “You’ll Disappear” with unprecedented grace.
Often when you are dancing in a club or listening to a good mix there is a moment when the DJ suddenly plays a special track and new, elevating groove fills the room. Munk & Telonius present Gomma Dance 2012 is built upon such moments. It’s a blissful alliance of electronic sound and a poignant introduction to the vibrancy that characterises Gomma.
1. The KDMS – Tonight
2. MOULLINEX feat. Peaches – Maniac
3. DIMITRI FROM PARIS & DJ ROCCA – Ero Disco Theme
4. MUNK – La Musica (Azari and III Remix)
5. TELONIUS – Hit Me (Ian Pooley Remix)
6. MOULLINEX – Sunflare (Club Mix)
7. MERCURY feat. Robert Owens – Candlelight
8. TELONIUS feat. Prince Albert – Last Night
9. MERCURY – Grand Prix de Monaco (Round Table Knights Remix)
10. THE GLIMMERS – U Rocked My World (Pete Herbert & Tristan Da Cunha Remix)
11. CECILE & VENICE – Rimmel
12. HUGO CAPABLANCA & T.KELLER – No Hay Ritmo
13. GOLDEN BUG feat. Dakar – Sex Beat
14. The KDMS – Never Stop Believing (Nicky Siano Remix)
15. MERCURY – You Lift Me Up
16. The DEADSTOCK33s & DANIEL AVERY – Autumn
17. MOULLINEX – Modular Jam
18. WHOMADEWHO – Keep Me In My Plane (Hudson River Dub)
19. ESPERANZA – Aliante Giallo
20. The PHENOMENAL HANDCLAP BAND – You’ll Disappear (Prins Thomas Remix)
21. MUNK & LOU HAYTER – So Close