Title: Watergate 21 mixed by Culoe De Song
Label: Watergate Records
Cat. #: WG021
Format: CD, digital
Release Date: 18.11.2016
01. Culoe De Song – Deadman’s Walk (exclusive)
02. Francesco Chiocci – Nightmares
03. Em Ex – Fire (unreleased)
04. Culoe De Song – Bang Royales (exclusive)
05. Mr Joe – Vector Groove (exclusive)
06. &ME – Trilogy feat. Sabota
07. David Anthony – I’m Free feat. Beverlei Brown (Manoo Dubstrumental)
08. Culoe De Song – Aftermath (exclusive)
09. Culoe De Song – Juice (exclusive)
10. Corinda – Sleepless Nights
11. Em Ex – Somadoda (unreleased)
12. Boddhi Satva – Skin Diver feat. Teedra Moses (Ancestrumental Mix)
13. illuMonate DJs – Nomvula (exclusive)
14. Mr Joe – Dharma (exclusive)
15. Guti – Hurt (Yoruba Soul Mix)
After the landmark twentieth installment of our Watergate Mix Series we knew we had to secure an impressive successor to the throne. To preserve the standards set by our previous selectors, who have set the bar incredibly high, we’ve enlisted the genius of one of todays brightest stars to take the helm for Watergate Mix 21; the one and only, Culoe De Song.
Hailing from the northern shores on South Africa’s east coast, Culoe De Song has broken out internationally and paved an impressive path for himself over the last decade. From his first release on fellow South African export Black Coffee’s ‘Have Another One’ compilation to his multiple anthems on the mighty Innervisions and renowned Japanese imprint Mule Musiq to his most recent long player ‘Washa’ on his own imprint De Song Music, Culoe has always celebrated his musical heritage and the sounds of home.
By blending the fundamentals of modern House and Techno with the aesthetics of traditional African musicality, Culoe De Song has become one of a few pivotal figures in pushing the agenda for the ‘Afro-House’ movement to the international stage. With regular appearances at Watergate, it’s no doubt that his sound flawlessly fits the modus operandi of the club. Whether it’s an intense journey upstairs in the dark under the LEDs or a morning of deep euphoria as the sun pours over the water floor, Culoe’s approach and execution never fail to capture the essence of the moment in only a way that he can create. With this skill and his signature brushstroke, he has crafted an impeccable journey spanning an entire spectrum of club moments into an hour and twenty minutes. Not only is the mix flawless, but it features an extravagant array of unreleased and well known tunes including four absolutely stunning exclusive originals from Culoe De Song himself which will follow as an EP on Watergate Records shortly after.
On the whole, the mix is an indisputable illustration of Culoe’s kaleidoscope of talent, philosophy, and artistry and is equal parts uplifting and infectious as it is psychedelic and dreamy. Like Hunter S. Thompson once said, “Buy the ticket, take the ride” and we would have to concur. Take a ride with Culoe De Song on Watergate 21.